Today is Pink Shirt Day in BC, an anti-bullying awareness project inspired by high school students in Nova Scotia, who wore pink t-shirts to school to support a fellow student who was bullied for wearing a pink-shirt. Aside from awareness, Pink Shirt Day has also become a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Clubs, Big Sisters and Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver, The Canadian Red Cross, Kids Help Phone and many other charities.
At ILScorp we encourage you to take a stand against bullying at home, school and in the workplace. We have developed anti-bullying awareness courses, for both employers and employees, to help you understand the meaning and consequences of bullying. With up to 40 percent of Canadian workers reporting feeling bullied at work, the issue goes beyond the school yard.
Many countries and regions already have Workplace Bullying laws in place. Ontario, Manitoba, Québec and Saskatchewan have already introduced legislation against bullying and B.C. recently enacted Bill 14 [Workers Compensation Amendment Act] to address the effects of bullying at work.
ILScorp recommends that all employees receive this training. The courses are available as part of your group membership to ILScorp and can be accessed FREE via your General Insurance Course subscription.
The PinkShirtDay.ca website offers these eight suggestions for supporting their campaign:
- Purchase your official Pink Shirt Day T-Shirt at London Drugs or online at Shop.PinkShirtDay.ca
- Share our Pink Shirt Day Public Service Announcement (PSA) on your facebook wall or twitter account View it here:
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Visit our partners who are raising funds for Pink Shirt Day in Vancouver (more on this soon!).
- Challenge your friends and co-workers to commit to a bully-free lifestyle and wear pink on Feb 24, 2016.
- Upload a picture of you, your school, your work, your friends on Twitter wearing pink on Feb 26th and tag it with #pinkshirtday and mention @pinkshirtday – or email to email@example.com
- Download our posters, print and hang up at your school or work and share with everyone what is going on for Pink Shirt Day.
- Share and retweet messages from @pinkshirtday on Twitter and let us know what you’re doing to support Pink Shirt Day on Feb 24, 2016. Example tweet: On Feb 24 I’ll be wearing Pink. Make some noise against bullying! Support @pinkshirtday. #pinkshirtday
Net proceeds from Pink Shirt Day activities & t-shirt sales benefit the CKNW Orphans’ Fund in support of Boys & Girls Clubs Anti-Bullying programs.