The Insurance Agents and Adjusters Regulation of Alberta sets out the Continuing Education Requirements for  insurance agents, brokers and adjusters

Here are the answers to some of the most common questions asked by Agents, Brokers and Adjusters in Alberta.

What are the Certificate Terms for Continuing Education?
Life and Accident & Sickness insurance agents, General insurance agents and Adjusters are required to complete in each certificate term at least 15 hours of approved continuing education courses. Effective July 1, 2014, a “certificate term” means the period beginning on July 1 and ending on the next June 30.

How do I know that I have satisfied my CE requirements?
You must log in to AIC and check your CE Summary Report. You are required to have completed 15 CE hours of approved courses each year in order to process the renewal of your license. All approved courses are found in the CE Course Lookup Section on the AIC  web site. Contact ILScorp directly for assistance if you are unable to find a course.

Are there any exemptions to the continuing education requirement?
Yes. Individuals who hold a General insurance agent’s certificate limited to hail insurance or livestock insurance and individuals who hold an Adjuster’s certificate limited to hail insurance, travel insurance or equipment warranty insurance are not required to complete a continuing education requirement.

Are there exemptions for Maternity Leave or Long Term Disability?
There are no provisions under the Insurance Act or Regulations to allow an exemption for those agents who are on long term disability or maternity leave.

Is there carry over of hours?
The Insurance Agents and Adjusters Regulation allows for a carry forward up to 7.5 hours of continuing education credits from one year to be used in the next year per class of license.

What are the required hours for new Alberta agents?
1.25 hours per licensed month. Agents who apply for a certificate of authority (license) with 3 or less months remaining in the certificate term are not required to complete the Continuing Education requirement. If your first license was issued on April 1st, you will not be required to complete a CE requirement until you renew your certificate in the following year.

How do I determine if a course is accredited?
All courses which have been approved by the Accreditation Committee are listed on the Alberta Insurance Council website CE Course Lookup. ILScorp offers Alberta accredited courses for General / Adjuster as well as Life/A&S.

Accredited CE Courses

Why can’t I enter the date that I completed my CE courses?
As you enter the course id number on the AIC website, a number of courses will be presented to you in a drop down for your selection. You must select the name of the course from the drop-down. A calendar will then be made available to select the date of completion. Some courses may have only been approved within a specific date range.

When entering a CE course on the AIC website, I receive a message that says “You are attempting to save a course in a closed CE term.” Can I still add the course?
You may still add courses in a CE term that has already been closed. Since you will not be able to modify or delete the course once it has been saved, you will be asked if you wish to continue to save the course. Click the “Continue” or “Cancel” button to proceed.

When do I need to have all my CE credits completed?
When you renew your certificate of authority you are required to demonstrate that you have completed 15 hours of approved continuing education courses for each certificate being renewed by entering all approved courses under your profile.

Agents/adjusters who have not entered sufficient continuing education credits will not be able to renew their certificate(s) until sufficient courses have been entered.

What happens if I do not complete sufficient CE hours? Can I renew my license and earn my CE credits later?
All insurance agents and adjusters who are required to complete a CE requirement will not be able to renew their certificate(s) until they have demonstrated that they have sufficient CE credit hours. Failure to complete the CE by June 30th will result in your certificate of authority automatically expiring and you will not be authorized to act as an insurance agent or adjuster until you have satisfied your CE requirement and re-applied for your certificate(s).

Should I send in the CE certificates provided to me by the course providers?
No, these certificates are only required if the agent/adjuster becomes part of a random audit.

As a new agent can I use credits I earned from course taken before my license was issued?
New agents/adjusters may use credits earned by an approved course towards their first reporting period providing the course was taken in that certificate term.

Subscribe to Email Promotions

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from ILScorp

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest