Continuing Education Requirements for Alberta Resident Agents and Adjusters
Life and Accident & Sickness insurance agents, General insurance agents and Adjusters who hold a certificate of authority must obtain 15 hours of continuing education credits as a condition of renewing their certificate of authority.
Effective July 1, 2014 a “certificate term” means the period beginning on July 1 and ending on the next June 30.
All certificate holders are required to have 15 hours of credits per certificate for the first reporting period. The regulation also provides a mechanism to carry forward up to a maximum of 7.5 hours of credits from one certificate term to the next.
Certificate holders are required to demonstrate that they have completed 15 hours of approved continuing education courses for each class of license being renewed by entering all approved courses under their Alberta Insurance Council profile. The Alberta Insurance Council (AIC) will conduct random audits to determine that certificate holders are in compliance with these requirements. All certificate holders must keep a copy of their CE certificates issued by a continuing education provider for a period of 3 years following the expiry of the certificate term and must provide a copy of those records when they become part of a random audit.
Agents or Adjusters who become licensed for the first time in the first nine months of any certificate term are required to obtain CE credits. The number of hours required is calculated on a pro-rated basis in accordance with a formula established by the regulation. Agents who become licensed in the final three months of a certificate term are not required to obtain CE credits for that year only. DO NOT send copies of your CE certificates to the AIC unless specifically asked to do so by the AIC.View CE Course Subscription Options
Now is the time to get working on your mandatory CE hours and avoid the last minute rush. ILScorp is ready to help, with continuing education catalogues featuring hundreds of hours of accredited courses that you can complete anywhere you have an internet connection.
Advantages of the ILS continuing education course subscriptions:
- Once you purchase your subscription, you can begin taking your courses immediately! If you are a new subscriber, you will receive an automated username and password by email.
- Access more than 180 accredited general insurance training courses in both text and streaming video formats, including personal lines, commercial lines, auto, farm, professional management and personal skills courses.
- Access more than 75 accredited life/A&S insurance training courses in both text and streaming video formats including errors & omissions insurance, money management planning process and insurance and estate planning.
- Have a digital record of your completed course work, which we keep on file for up to seven years.
- Save time by completing your general insurance continuing education requirements entirely online, no paperwork or commute.
- Courses can be accessed any time and you can log in and log out as many times as you wish during the course period.
- Quizzes and Final exams are offered in most of our courses to help you retain the information.
- Should you require any assistance at any time during your course work, we are here to support you 5 days a week, 0800 – 1700 PST.